Sunday, May 3, 2009

The last couple of weeks have been a rollercoaster! We welcomed Braxton Lee to our family on Tuesday, April 21st! He is so perfect and we love him so much! 14 days after my "botched" epidural, I am finally starting to feel better. I debated back and forth whether or not to get the epidural and I wish I would have decided against it because when the Dr. was trying to give it to me, he "missed" and an air sack formed. I was informed that this happens to 2% of patients. I should have known that as soon as I heard him apologizing something was up. After 45 minutes of the worst pain, I was told that I would be getting a very intense headache and that the epideral would not be given. Within minutes, the headache came. By the time he left the room, I was 9 cm and pushing soon after so fortunately, I did not have to endure the headache and the pain of a natural childbirth at the same time for too long.

I felt well the first night but by the next day, I could barely lift my head or get out of bed. On Wednesday evening, I received a blood patch in my spine. They took blood from my arm and tried to fill the hole that was created in my spine. I instantly felt some relief but by the next morning, I was in a lot of pain again. We went home Thursday afternoon and I was unable to even leave the bed. Friday, Lee and my mom took me to the emergency room. Lee had to basically carry me into the hospital. After receiving fluids and a catscan, I learned that the "hole" was still open and Lee and I chose not to receive another blood patch. Friday evening I went home and was on bedrest for a week. I do not know how I would have made it through the week without Lee and our moms! Lee was amazing! I have no neck or back pain and the headache is no longer unbearable. (My eyes are still bloodshot though which is quite the sight.) I really appreciate all of the support we received from friends and family. It was all worth it because Braxton is an angel!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I am so glad you are feeling better. I hate that you had to go through all of that-- but at least you got a great "gift" in the end!

Reg said...

I am so happy to have been able to be there with you two. I wouldn't have traded it for anything. "XL" is already growing up and doing new things...it is so exciting!